Sugar-proof your way to a longer life. Reducing AGEs to slow aging and increase weight loss – how one supplement is fighting the war for longevity on two fronts.
If you asked people what effects they’d like a supplement to have, slowing aging and promoting weight loss would probably be top of the list. Introducing GLYLO, combined appetite suppressant and antiaging supplement that is based on science straight out of the renowned Buck Institute.
Longevity.Technology Sponsored Content: We recently interviewed Pankaj Kapahi, PhD about the science behind GLYLO, and how its ability to lower advanced glycation end products (AGEs) – rock the AGEs, as it were. GLYLO is backed by positive preclinical data in mice, and Kapahi and his team are now planning clinical trials of the product in humans, and we wanted to find out more about how it works and what it could mean for longevity. It’s time for a vacation from glycation.
GLYLO calls itself the “first ‘anti-aging weight loss’ supplement”; it works by targeting the biological process of glycation, which occurs both in the body and in cooking. Glycation is where glucose molecules bond to other molecules, such as amino acids, protein or fat, and cooking or chewing breaks down these sugar-added-molecules to yield amino acid-sugar complexes called Accumulated Glycation End products (AGEs), which have different chemical profiles governing flavour and taste.
So far, so taste sensation, but there’s a downside.
Glycated molecules are catalytic sites for free radical generation  and AGEs drive appetite, promote inflammation , cause cross-linking  and are implicated in several diseases, including diabetes complications and neurodegeneration . Adding extra glucose to amino acids, lipids or nucleotides – sugar-tagging, in essence – means they become chemically altered and can no longer retain their original shape. This compromises their function, leading to poorly-functioning cells and the slow systemic deterioration we call aging. This
And – double downside – not only do glycated molecules accelerate the aging process, but glycation increases with age, meaning more free radicals and more AGEs causing harm.
The science behind GLYLO
GLYLO promotes the detoxification of AGEs, reducing their number, and also engages other targets that promote healthy aging. The rationale is that glucose itself isn’t toxic, but that the by-products of the glycation process that occurs as we metabolise glucose are. One of these by-products, methylglyoxal, reacts with proteins, fats and DNA to create AGEs.
“We believe that AGEs contribute to a number of age-related and diabetic complications,” Dr Kapahi told Longevity.Technology. “They go up in patients with Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease, diabetic retinopathy, neuropathy and so on. So that’s why we think methylglyoxal is an important target. We developed GLYLO to as a product to limit the production of AGEs in vivo, and we do this by targeting methylglyoxal.”
The individual components of GLYLO are designed to act synergistically by engaging multiple targets that promote health. These include reducing carbohydrate intake, promoting fat burning, enhancing NAD+, lowering amounts of advanced glycation end products (AGEs), reducing senescence, and promoting cellular repair pathways.
Dr Kapahi explains that it is GLYLO’s triple action – it increases activity, reduces cravings and promotes healthy aging – that makes it such an effective supplement. “The most common feedback we receive is that people feel more active and this is in line with our animal studies in which mice ran twice as much on the running wheel,” he says.
- Alpha-lipoic acid – made in normally in our bodies, ALA is essential for aerobic metabolism. It mitigates glycation stress and delays the onset of diabetic complications in pre-clinical models. ALA has also been shown to induce weight loss in women.
- Nicotinamide – a form of Vitamin B3, nicotinamide has been shown to help with several skin conditions and diabetic pathologies in pre-clinical models. Nicotinamide acts as a co-factor for several metabolic enzymes and boosts the levels of NAD+ which has been shown to have antiaging and anti-diabetic properties.
- Pyridoxamine – also known as Vitamin B6, pyridoxamine is able to quench free radicals and carbonyls formed in glucose and lipid reactions. Pyridoxamine has been shown to reduce glycation stress and diabetic pathologies.
- Thiamine – also known as Vitamin B1, thiamine is a co-factor for several metabolic enzymes and is known to enhance metabolism and glycation stress.
- Piperine – a component of black pepper, piperine enhances bioavailability of other foods and supplements, as well as detoxifying molecules that enhance glycation stress.
The modern diet contains far too much sugar; as well as having harmful effects on our metabolism and contributing to the development of numerous serious health conditions and diseases, especially diabetes, obesity and heart disease, it promotes inflammation and aging. Mitigating sugar consumption with diet is a sensible approach, but GLYLO’s extra firepower could aid us in our fight against AGEs – and age itself!