There is rapidly-increasing activity in both the research and the investment communities that focus on Longevity; this survey gets into the details.
The global Longevity economy is projected to reach $27 trillion in 2026 – but timing is everything: demystifying the opportunity for investors and innovators, today, is paramount to achieving this growth:
For investors, the risk of missing-out on genuine Longevity funding opportunities increases as more (and less-valid) start-ups enter the market;
For early-stage Longevity start-ups, attracting investors with a genuine Longevity focus, and the funds to finance later rounds, is super-important.
This research was conducted in June 2020 and respondents were contacted as either subscribers to Longevity.Technology or as attendees to our Longevity 2020 digital event. With a very big thank you to all 133 of them, here are some key highlights (you can download the full report free from our store):
- We asked both investors and investees about their focus to identify the alignment between investor appetite and current market activity. Interestingly, only agetech, AI and dietary supplements align in terms of activity and investor appetite;
- Investing directly with founders (45%) reflects the early-stage nature of the Longevity investment category – where investors will probably have previously exited successful tech and/or biotech businesses and are now applying both their expertise and funds into direct investment;
- The majority of respondents prefer to invest early. This aligns with the current (early) stage nature of the Longevity market and we expect later-stage investors to enter the market as confidence grows;
- 38% of respondents are grant-funded, or pre-equity investment, which indicates the early-stage nature of many Longevity research and development areas; 32% are raising or have raised series A;
- 60% of respondents are looking to raise within the next 5 months;
- Respondents have raised an average of $1.86m in external funding to date.
Do download the full report (completely free) from our store – we’ll run this again later in the year to identify trends.
Thanks again to all those who participated.